Saturday, January 2, 2016

Goals for the New Year!

A guy always becomes a bit reflective as the New Year pops up.  After missing the Rut 50k due to my freak fever and stomach ulcer, then fighting-off nagging arch and finger injuries, I've been left feeling like a bit of an invalid during the last year.  Proudly, I was able to achieve my 2015 goal of consistently (as I could with my finger problems!) training finger strength on my hangboard.  I was also able to improve my computer programming skillz, finish the Park High Bouldering wall, and I unexpectedly began my MS degree in Mathematics Education.  Oh, and I finally sent my first legit outdoor V6 boulder problem, the Pulaski on Cedar Mountain in Cody, WY.

For the new year, I have full intentions of finally breaking past a few of my lingering barriers, partly to prove to myself that I can break through extremely difficult, long-term plateaus, and partly because it's a lot of fun to inspire myself by accomplishing things that seem impossible (or at least are very hard!)

My top concrete goals on my list are:

  • Finally climb one of the V7 boulder problems I've been battling with for the past 4 years! 
  • Finally climb China Crisis (Bozeman Pass) or Winds of Deception (Natural Bridge).  Both 5.12a.  Although I'd also take climbing one of the technical 5.11's a Allenspur as well! 
  • Lead climb 30 pitches in a day to celebrate being 30
  • Run another Ultra-Marathon (I hope I can get into The Rut 50k and redeem myself!)

My process-oriented goals on my list are:

  • Continue consistent finger-strength training
  • Condition myself to become more optimistic and positive, both as a teacher and as an athlete.  I've grown weary of falling into the rut of the negative Neds at work and in my own mind.  




No comments:

Post a Comment